Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Bad Luck All Around

Tuesday Aug 25 – Evening
Written by Jens

What I should have written in the last line of my previous entry was, I hope the spectator boat shows up. I walked 4 km to the Shinning Waters Marina where I was told that the “Delovers”, the boat that I was assigned to, was to pick me up. I was there ½ hour early, at 12:00, and waited. I looked around, no Delovers, so I asked at the marina if they knew where this boat was kept. Yes, at the Hubbards marina. That is on the other side of the bay, past our motel. That’s like a 40 minute drive. Somehow the paperwork got screwed up. So I walked back to the club, jumped in the van, and drove Up the Peggy’s Cove road, trying to find a viewing spot on this side of the bay. I found one, just down the road. The course was quite a ways out, and I could barely make out sail numbers. But trying to find Brad’s number was not easy in a sea of white sails, and white hulls. I managed to see him a few times, and managed to follow part of a race.

When Brad came in, I could tell that he was upset. Apparently, he had been doing very well in a couple of races, only to loss many boats when huge wind shifts came in with him on the wrong side of the course.


Written by Brad
I can't remember the last time I have been so unlucky sailing. The frustrations continued again today for me. Not because the other sailors are better (ok they are good), but because I can't get a wind shift to save my life! First race started off with a bad start and bad wind shifts to put me close to the back of the fleet. The next race I had a much better start and was about in 10th place at the top mark. I maintained that position on the reach and downwind leg. On the second upwind leg, another huge wind shift and I lost 30 boats.

In the last race of the day, the frustrations continued, when exactly the same thing happened. Doing very well for the first three marks of the course, then on the second upwind leg, another massive right hand shift came in while I was on the left side. I was on the wrong side of two huge wind shifts from two different directions in the last two races of the day! Talk about bad luck!

I can only hope my final day of racing will be better before Dad and I drive home. Missing everyone back home!

No comments:

Post a Comment